Please check with your nearest Simply Helping office if they are an approved Home Care Package provider.

If you’re finding that everyday tasks are becoming more challenging as you grow older, there is help available so you can continue living comfortably in your own home. The Australian Government provides funding for in-home care services to ensure you receive the right care and support to make life at home a little easier to manage.

What home care services are available?

In-home care and support services are all about keeping you healthy, keeping you safe in your own home, and ensuring you are still able to interact with the community. Services can include personal care, food preparation and meal assistance, domestic assistance, general house cleaning, home maintenance, home modification, assistive technology, transport, social support and more.

Am I eligible for an aged care home package?

Depending on your needs, you may receive in-home care services through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) or Home Care Package (HCP).

The CHSP is considered as entry level care and offers basic in-home care services.

You may be eligible for the CHSP if you are:

  • Aged 65 years or over (or aged 50 years or over for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people), or
  • Aged 50 years or older (or aged 45 years or over for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people) and on a low income, homeless, or at risk of being homeless.

A Home Care Package (HCP) is for those who require more complex care. There are four levels of HCP’s to help meet the different levels of care needs.

You may be eligible for an HCP if you have:

  • Noticed a change in what you can do or remember
  • Been diagnosed with a medical condition or reduced mobility
  • Experienced a change in family care arrangements
  • Experienced a recent fall or hospital admission.

The government will subsidise the cost of your care if you are eligible for a HCP. Depending on your financial situation, you may be asked to contribute towards the cost. This may include any fees associated with the management of your package from your home care service provider.

How do I apply for a home care package?

It’s as easy as making a phone call to My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to request an assessment.

If you prefer, a family member, friend or carer can be with you while you make the call. With your permission, they can also talk to the My Aged Care representative on your behalf.

The staff at My Aged Care are friendly and have been trained to help people in a wide range of circumstances. They will be able to answer all your questions and refer you for a face-to-face assessment if they think home care services can help you.

The face-to-face assessment is carried out in your home and provided free of charge. A family member, friend or carer is welcome to be with you for support during your assessment, if you wish.

How do I start my home care services?

If you are being assessed for the CHSP and your assessment indicates you will benefit from home care services and supports, your assessor will work with you to create a personalised home care support plan. Your assessor can also provide you with a ‘referral code’ which, once you have chosen your service provider, allows the provider to start organising services for you.

If you are being assessed for an HCP, your assessor will take some time to review the information and make a decision. You will be sent a letter to notify you of the outcome. If eligible, it’s now a good time to look for a home care provider. This makes it quicker and easier to get started upon receiving the second letter from My Aged Care notifying you that a home care package has been assigned.

When looking for a home care service provider, there are a few points to consider.

  1. Does the provider offer a service that best meets your needs?
  2. What are the fees and costs you may be expected to pay?
  3. Is the provider reputable, and do they deliver a high quality service?

Once you have chosen a home care provider, they must provide you with a Home Care Agreement. This is a legal agreement between you and your service provider and outlines your care plan, how your care services will be provided, who will provide them and how much they will cost.